Content Migration is hard work. Dealing with thousands of HTML pages can be costly, time-consuming, and painful. At the CM Pros and Gilbane Boston event last week, we enjoyed the focus on Content Migration. One workshop in particular, Content Migration – the Dirty Little Secret of Content Management, provided a thorough and comprehensive investigation of various approaches to succeed with enterprise content migration projects and to overcome the numerous hurdles and headaches associated with content migration. For a summary of the workshop, check out Irina Guseva’s write-up at CMSWire.
One clear message from the workshop is that automation is clearly a winning strategy when it comes to complex migrations involving unstructured content and large volumes of HTML pages.
Key Benefits of Automated Content Migration:
1. Save Time – Cut time to market up to 90% through automated data access, extraction, cleansing, transformation and QA. Eliminate content freezes. Accelerate your time to market for your production CMS.
2. Save Money – Reduce manual, error-prone processes and cut resource requirements saving up to 80%.
4. Project Completeness – Finish projects ahead of schedule, within budget, and no disruption to operations.
The alternative? Manual cut-and-paste and black-box approaches which are complex, error-prone, expensive, and often times unable to complete the job.
There are a few vendors making bold promises around content migration. We’ve stepped in and had to finish several of their projects because their tools and processes couldn’t get the whole project done and the client was losing their patience with the multiple delays and increasing costs.
Here are a few things to consider when choosing a Content Migration vendor and solution:
1. Automation is King – Intel was able to reduce the number of developers on a large content migration project from 45 down to 2. Check out how Intel reduced costs 80% and got their content migration with Kapow Technologies done in 1/10th the time.
2. Don’t waste your time custom programming to a CMS’s APIs. Especially in cases where APIs don’t exits, visual UIs like Kapow’s provide full access to all functionality for proper loading of your content.
3. Place your trust in “No Coding” through a robust Visual IDE which will save you peace of mind, frustration, headaches, and maybe even your job (just kidding). Which is to say, avoid coding with JYTHON for transforming your data.
4. Insist on Real-time Error Checking – don’t get caught in the ongoing process of checking your logs or QA’ing your site, only to find out it’s broken and then having to re-write your script and start again.
Kapow Technologies offers the industry’s ONLY solution to completely automate content migration. Learn more on our website. Here are three great resources to get you started:
1. Whitepaper: The Definitive Guide to Automating Content Migration
2. Webinar: A new approach to Content Migration – A use case featuring Intel
3. Demo: Extract data and load into CMS without APIs or coding